KENESAW BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
January 10, 2017 AT 7:30 P.M.
The Village of Kenesaw Board of Trustees held a regular board meeting on January 10, 2017 at 7:30 p.m. in the Community Room of the Kenesaw Village Office, as was advertised. Board Members present: Ronda Ehly, Sarah Kroos, JR Pulver, Teresa Uden and Dale Long. Also present: Robb Woodward, Larry Knaub, and Henry Wilson. Clerk: Cindy Kiefer. Maintenance: Jeff Edmondson.
- Call to Order: Chairman Kroos called the meeting to order at 7:31p.m.
- Location of the OMAL: Chairman Kroos gave notice of the location of the Open Meetings Act Literature to be on the south wall of the meeting room.
- Review/Approve Minutes of the Regular Meeting December 13, 2016: Moved by Trustee Ehly, second by Trustee Pulver to approve the minutes of the December 13, 2016 meeting as presented. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-yea, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-Absent. No opposed. Motion carried.
- Review/Approve Expenditures of December 2016: Moved by Trustee Ehly, second by Trustee Long to approve the December 2016 Expenditures as presented. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-yea, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-Absent. No opposed. Motion carried.
- Review/Approve Treasurer’s Report for December 2016: Moved by Trustee Ehly, second by Trustee Long to approve the December 2016 Treasurer’s Report as presented. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-yea, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-Absent. No opposed. Motion carried.
- Comments from the Public: None.
- Discuss/Approve Woodward’s’ Disposal Service, Inc. Contract Extension. Robb Woodward presented to the board the proposed rates for garbage service for the next 3 year contract period. All services excluding extra toters will be increasing by $1.00 per month. Moved by Trustee Ehly, second by Trustee Pulver to Approve Woodward Disposal Service Contract and pricing changes for the next 3 years. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-yea, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-Abstain (was not present for most of the discussion and presentation.) No opposed. Motion carried.
Update/ Approve: Water Meter Project
- Update – Software/Pricing/Billing Information: Clerk Kiefer updated the board with the information that the Summit water meter software has now been installed, and Summit training still to take place. Training for meter readers currently scheduled for January 30th, 2017 with Municipal Supply out of Hastings providing all the Summit access is available. She also stated that Nebraska Rural Water Association has been working on the water rate study for Kenesaw and plans to present their recommendations at the February 14th, 2017 meeting.
- Discuss – Water Meter Changes: Jeff Edmondson presented to the board information regarding changes to the bid for Premier Estates water meters. The original bid was for 2” meters but we will need to have 3” meters installed. Jeff felt that the original estimate for the 3” meters was way overpriced. Jeff was able to get a quote on the meters directly from Municipal Supply for significantly less than Olsson’s/Van Kirks had quoted, as well he did not agree with the labor time charges. Olsson’s has reworked labor quote as well, and will have their company oversee and document installation time. We will be billed from Van Kirks on an actual time spent basis for this part of the job. We will purchase the meters direct from Municipal Supply and provide them to Van Kirks.
- Approve – Olsson & Associates Work Change Directive No.2 – Jeff Presented the work change directive as discussed above (b.). Motion made by Trustee Ehly and Seconded by Trustee Pulver to approve Olsson Assoc. Work Change Directive No. 2 as presented. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-yea, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-yea. No opposed. Motion carried.
- Approve-Olsson & Associates, Certificate of Payment #2 for Van Kirk Bro. Contracting. Motion made by Trustee Pulver, Seconded by Trustee Long to Approve Certificate of Payment # 2 for Van Kirk Bro. Contracting, through Olsson and Associates in the amount of $214,444.00. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-yea, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-yea. No opposed. Motion carried.
- Discuss: Tower Point Capital – Cell Tower Lease Proposition Request. – Andy Stephenson from Tower Point Capital has sent to the board information about assuming the current cell tower leases the Village currently holds. After discussion, the board decided they were not interested in having Tower Point Capital present any further information with regard to any cell tower lease acquisitions.
- Discuss/Approve: Transport of New Fire Engine – Trustee Pulver presented information with regard to the cost to have the New Fire Engine transported from Gering to Kenesaw by Pavelka Trucking for $500.00. Motion made by Trustee Ehly and Seconded by Trustee Long to contract Pavelka’s Trucking to transport new fire truck from Gering, Ne to Kenesaw, NE for the amount of $500.00. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-yea, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-yea. No opposed. Motion carried
- Discuss/Approve: Water Disconnection/ Reconnection Charges – Clerk Kiefer and Jeff Edmondson presented to the board information regarding the increasing numbers of residents who are wanting water services turned off and on at individual property’s throughout the year. ( i.e. – Summer-only, Sheds-sporadic, landlord-cleaning up property between renters, owner- showing property for sale etc.) – There has been an increase of demand on how soon to turn water on and/or off, and residents not wanting to pay for water over the winter at their sheds, but not wanting it turned off either. Jeff presented that the constant turning off/on can cause damage to the valves especially in cold weather thus causing additional cost to the Village. Discussion that the delinquent account penalty for reconnection fee is $30. After discussion motion was made by Trustee Pulver and Seconded by Trustee Long to make changes to the water disconnect reconnect fees as follows:
- Delinquent Account Reconnect Fee
- $30.00–During Village office business hours, *** NOTE*** The $30 fee will be assessed at the expiration of the notice period provided on your disconnection final notice statement, even if physical service shut/off does not take place due to the discretion of the Village personnel. (i.e. weather, staffing)
- $50.00 – Non-Business Hours – at the request of the resident if staffing/weather permitting
- Voluntary Disconnect/Reconnect Request Fee
- $25.00 Connection Fee per occurrence.
- $25.00 Disconnection Fee per occurrence. Exception – shut off fee will be waived if 6 months of consecutive service has been paid without delinquency.
- No voluntary service changes will be available outside of regular Village office business hours
- Village personnel has up to 1 business day from time of delinquent account restitution to provide non-voluntary service changes – weather and staffing permitting.
- Village personnel will within 1 business day of voluntary service request provide service changes – weather and staffing permitting.
- One Emergency Shut-Off Service Request will be provided per occurrence without charge but will not be reconnected until emergency has been completely repaired. Additional service on/off requests will be provided at the discretion of the Village personnel, with an additional charge.
- Roll call: Trustee Pulver-yea, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-yea. No opposed. Motion carried
- Update: 106 N Perkins- Lambrecht Property– Clerk Kiefer provided the information that the Lambrechts have turned in the signed and notarized deed for the property which has been sent to the attorney to be filed with the Register of Deeds. However, the title insurance which was voted by the board was unable to be purchased due to the Lambrechts not signing the papers needed to obtain the title insurance. Clerk Kiefer reported that the title company has in fact already preformed the title search which, as earlier reported, came back negative for encumbrances. Motion made by Trustee Pulver and Seconded by Trustee Ehly to pay the title company for the title search and not pursue the title insurance. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-yea, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-yea. No opposed. Motion carried
- Update: Ryan Sharp Case – Clerk Kiefer reported that the trial for the Sharp Dog Case took place on January 5th, 2017 at which she was present. The case was found in favor of the plaintiff-Village of Kenesaw. The defendant was ordered to pay restitution to Heartland Pet Connection for the cost incurred there. The Village will incur the court charges for the case. The case is now closed.
- Discuss: Snow Removal Back-up –Sarah Kroos and Jeff Edmondson presented to the board the need to have 2-3 people that could be called on a PRN back up case for helping with snow removal or other maintenance emergencies. After discussion motion was made by Trustee Pulver and Seconded by Trustee Ehly to authorize Jeff to talk with 2-3 possible PRN backups, including Jerry Jacobson and Brent Schirmer, to see if they would be interested in such a position with the Village of Kenesaw. Train on equipment to be provided and documented by Jeff Edmondson. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-yea, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-yea. No opposed. Motion carried
- Discuss/Review: 1 and 6 year plan – Jeff Palik – TABLED till February meeting at the request of Jeff Palik
- Unfinished Business:
- Old Fire Truck –Trustee Pulver presented the information to be posted and published for the old truck for a sealed bid with the closing bid of February 14th, 2017. – also, Add both Trustee Pulver and Jeff Edmondson’s contact information on the add.
- Old Plow Truck – Jeff Edmondson requested suggestions from the board on what to do with the old plow truck – it was discussed that it is not worth anything at this point. It was decided to scrap the truck.
- Recycle Center – Jeff Edmondson discussed with the board the request to use the old dog kennel he has – he requested that he use the kennel to make a place to put aluminum cans to be collected for donation to the Midget Football Committee. After discussion it was decided to provide the collected cans to Midget Football –providing a sign to the public of its purpose.
- Adjournment: Motion by Trustee Pulver second by Trustee Long at 9:04 p.m. No opposed. Motion carried. Next meeting is scheduled for February 14, 2017 at 7:30 p.m.
I, Cindy Kiefer, Clerk for the Village of Kenesaw, hereby certify that the preceding minutes are a true and correct copy of the proceedings had and done by the Chairman and the Board of Trustees of the Village of Kenesaw on January 10, 2017. These minutes were posted in three public locations in the Village of Kenesaw and the shortened version was published in the Hastings Tribune.