KENESAW BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
March 14, 2017 AT 7:30 P.M.
The Village of Kenesaw Board of Trustees held a regular board meeting on March 14, 2017 at 7:30 p.m. in the Community Room of the Kenesaw Village Office, as was advertised. Board Members present: Ronda Ehly, Sarah Kroos, Teresa Uden and Dale Long. Members absent: Trustee Pulver. Also present: Bruce Mack, Clerk: Cindy Kiefer, Maintenance: Jeff Edmondson.
- Call to Order: Chairman Kroos called the meeting to order at 7:32 p.m.
- Location of the OMAL: Chairman Kroos gave notice of the location of the Open Meetings Act Literature to be on the south wall of the meeting room.
- Review/Approve Minutes of the Regular Meeting February 14, 2017: Moved by Trustee Ehly, second by Trustee Long to approve the minutes of the February 14, 2017 as distributed. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-Absent, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-yea. No opposed. Motion carried.
- Review/Approve Expenditures of February 2017: Moved by Trustee Ehly, second by Trustee Long to approve the February 2017 Expenditures as presented. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-Absent, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-yea. No opposed. Motion carried.
- Review/Approve Treasurer’s Report for February 2017: Moved by Trustee Ehly, second by Trustee Long to approve the February 2017 Treasurer’s Report as presented. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-Absent, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-yea. No opposed. Motion carried.
- Comments from the Public: Bruce Mack presented to the board a question with regard to the water meter pit for his mother’s house, Yvonne Mack at 18495 W. 42nd St., Kenesaw. Due to the where the road is, in relation with where the meter pit was put, regular driving traffic may hit the box. Bruce is asking for an exemption from the liability to the meter pit due to these circumstances. After discussion with the board, and Superintendent Edmondson, it was decided that the meter pit does sit exceptionally close to the road edge and there is a high probability that road traffic may hit the meter pit. Motion was made by Trustee Ehly and Seconded by Trustee Long to provide a written wavier of liability to Yvonne Mack for the water meter pit on her property at 18495 W 42nd St., Kenesaw. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-Absent, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-yea. No opposed. Motion carried.
- Review/Discuss: American Red Cross – Nebraska Prepared Communities Initiative. Clerk Kiefer presented to the board information received from the American Red Cross regarding the Nebraska Prepared Communities Initiative – at this time there are not requirements on our community to complete. But, we will be ready to participate in putting together an action plan when requested to do so by the American Red Cross.
- Discussion – Summer Help Advertising: The board discussed and reviewed the summer help applications for the pool that have been turned in to date. Advertising for more pool life guards and for maintenance summer help to be posted in our normal posting area first before being posted in the newspaper. Only to post in newspaper if we do not get application from the local area. Maintenance help to be 18 years or older if possible, and will also receive a summer bonus as set by the board of trustees. Motion made by Trustee Ehly and seconded by Trustee Long to accept the pool applications as presented: 5 new applicants –pending lifeguard certification; 6 returning life guard applicants; 2 returning assistant manager applicants; As well as Christian Kroos as returning pool manager. All Bonus Pay and Rates of pay for pool staff will be presented to the board by Pool Mgr,Kroos at the April regular board of trustees meeting on April 11th, 2017 to be discussed and voted at that time. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-Absent, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-yea. No opposed. Motion carried.
- Discuss/Approve: Nebraska Rural Water Assoc. Donation. – Superintendent Edmondson discussed with the board of trustees the idea of a donation to be given to the NRWA as a thank you for all the work that they put into helping the Village with our water rate study, to help us determine our new water rate with our water meter system. NRWA does a lot of good work, and they did not charge the Village for their help with the water rate study. Mothing made by Trustee Ehly and seconded by Trustee Long to make a donation in the amount of $500 to be sent to the NRWA along with a thank you letter signed by the board. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-Absent, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-yea. No opposed. Motion carried.
- Discuss Water Meter Project Update:
- Install/Repairs: Clerk Kiefer and Superintendent Edmondson reported that installs of the meters are 99 % complete – Meter on football field at school still to be installed. They also reported that they been working with both Municipal Supply and Van Kirks in the trouble shooting for getting the meter reader on line and working. There were some meter number issues as well as a broken meter register that has now been replaced as well as a couple of meters installed backwards. These issues have been resolved.
- Billing Time Line: Clerk Kiefer reported that they have done a base line meter read on the 6th of March to begin the test month. A read on the 30th of March will be completed to create the billing file for the April Statements. This test month will not be billed to the customer. Reading for the month of April will be billed on the May Statement, and will be the first actual billing charges from the meters.
- Base Rate: Multi- Meter Address: Clerk Kiefer requested the board discuss and decide on how to deal with multiple meters for one address and how they would choose to bill out the base rate. There was discussion with the board – Motion by Trustee Ehly and Seconded by Trustee Long to Table decision till April meeting when all the board members can be present. –Tabled
- Base Rate Charges: Clerk Kiefer requested the board to discuss the water base rate with respect to whether there will still be an option to have your water service voluntarily shut off, thus not being charged the base rate per month. Motion made by Trustee Ehly and Seconded by Trustee Long to Table the discussion and decision till the April meeting when all the board members can be present to be a part of the discussion.- Tabled
- New Meter Supplies: Clerk Kiefer gave report that there had been some issues with the new meter reading supplies that were sent from Municipal Supply – -Both units had to be sent back to manufacturer for fixing. We are currently using loaned equipment from Municipal Supply till we get ours back.
- Discuss/Approve: Utility Account Cash Drawer: Chairman Kroos provided information from her conversation with Clerk Kiefer with regard to the need for a utility cash drawer used exclusively for the making change for utility cash payments. Clerk Kiefer explained that at this point the only cash in the office is the petty cash box which, for one does not hold enough cash to actually make change, and 2 using the petty cash box is not a good/safe accounting practice for actual payment receipting. It allows for discrepancies and mistakes to take place to easily. Clerk Kiefer feels that a utility cash drawer starting at $300 that would be reconciled nightly with cash receipts would be a good place to start. Motion was made by Trustee Ehly and seconded by Trustee Uden to set up a utility account cash drawer for utility billing in the amount of $300.00 to start and reevaluate later if changes need made. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-absent, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-yea. No opposed. Motion carried
- Discuss: Concerned Citizen Letter: Trustee Kroos presented an anonymous concerned citizen letter that she received by mail regarding the condition of the properties in Kenesaw in general. Discussion was made that all complaints need to be addressed to the board and signed in order for the board to be able to take action on them. This information will be addressed in the next newsletter. The clerk’s office has concerned citizen forms that anyone can fill out, as well there is a link on the Village website for a concerned citizen report. All complaints are kept confidential in the clerk’s office. Signed names on the complaint form are not provided to the public, and if necessary to bring name to the board, will be done so in executive session.
- Discuss/Approve Central Community College EMS Bill: Clerk Kiefer presented an invoice from CCC for services rendered in 2/2106. She explained that this bill was for a class taken for EMS Training by someone who had not ended up being part of the KVFD. There was discussion regarding the need to have volunteers for the fire dept., but also the liability in cases like this where. Motion made by Trustee Ehly and seconded by Trustee Long to pay the CCC bill for $808 from the Fire fund. Roll call: Trustee Pulver-absent, Trustee Ehly-yea, Trustee Kroos-yea, Trustee Long-yea, Trustee Uden-yea. No opposed. Motion carried
- Discuss/Review/Approve: Internet Service/Office Computer Needs Bids- Clerk Kiefer presented that she is working at pulling together bids for internet and back-up/security specifically with regard to preparation for setting up the ACH billing with Adams County Bank which is scheduled to go into effect on May1, 2017. She presented that all the bids from Glenwood have not been received as had been expected – request to table item till bids are received. Clerk Kiefer will notify Trustee Kroos when they are received and a decision will be made at that time on whether a special meeting needs to be called to address and approve. – TABLED
- Update on ACH Progress: Clerk Kiefer presented that she had met again with Adams County Bank to go over the specific process and procedures that will be taking place as we move forward to initiating ACH payment availability for Kenesaw resident utility payments. Data Tech is scheduled to complete the software installation and training this next week. The bank ACH agreement will be ready for board approval, vote and signature at the April 2017 regular meeting. The ACH internal policy and procedures will also be ready to review and approve at the April, 2017 meeting. Once we have the updated internet and back-up security in place we will be scheduled to have ACH effective by May 1, 2017.
- Unfinished Business:
- Adjournment: Motion by Trustee Ehly second by Trustee Long at 9:26 p.m. No opposed. Motion carried. Next meeting is scheduled for April 11, 2017 at 7:30 p.m.
I, Cindy Kiefer, Clerk for the Village of Kenesaw, hereby certify that the preceding minutes are a true and correct copy of the proceedings had and done by the Chairman and the Board of Trustees of the Village of Kenesaw on March 14, 2017. These minutes were posted in three public locations in the Village of Kenesaw and the shortened version was published in the Hastings Tribune.